During the holiday season I love to try to make recipes that I have had at holiday parties(and loved, of course)! A couple of years ago at a work party at my director’s home he served some mulled wine that he had made in the crock-pot. What I noticed first was the intoxicating smell coming from the kitchen which filled the home with a cinnamon and cardamom aroma that was amazing. After trying it, I was hooked!
Mulled wine is also known as Glögg which is Scandinavian. It is traditionally made with raisins and mulling spices and heated over a fire. It is also very popular in Germany and Austria where they refer to it as Glühwein.
This year I finally got around to making some of my own! I searched around the web for recipes and tips and came up with a recipe that is a conglomeration of several. I have now made it on three different occasions since Thanksgiving and I think I have finally mastered it! Beware that this is an adult drink and the alcohol definitely does not cook out of it! Here is the recipe I will be making every year from now on! Enjoy
- 1.5L Bottle Red Wine(I recommened Cabernet Sauvignon; use the cheapest possible, no need to waste the good stuff here!)
- 3/4 cup spiced rum or brandy(here again I stress the cheap factor)
- 1 cup Orange juice
- 3/4 cup white Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Allspice
- 5-6 whole Cinnamon Sticks
- 1-2 peeled and pulled apart Oranges or Tangerines
- 8 whole Cloves
- 5 Cardamom Pods
- Oranges for Garnish
- Place all ingredients(except garnish oranges) in crock-pot. Stir.
- Heat on Low for 4 hours or High 2 hours then switch to warm.
- Strain out pods and serve with a cinnamon stick and orange for garnish!