With this super cold Winter we have been having so far this year I have been craving stews and soups to keep me full and warm. This recipe is perfect for a quick weeknight meal that your family will enjoy. It can be customized to your spiciness preferences pretty easily and it is ready quickly. The ingredients make a beautifully colorful and tasty dish. I topped mine with shredded sharp cheddar, sour cream and garnished with tortilla chips that I crushed on top! Don’t let the long list of ingredients deter you as you should have most of this in your pantry! The recipe was husband approved so you know what that means…this soup is going in our dinner rotation!
- 2 cups of shredded chicken(I used white meat from a rotisserie chicken I picked up at the store or you can quickly do this at home using this tutorial)
- 2 cans of Rotel
- 1 can of black beans; rinsed
- 1 Small can of Tomato sauce(8 oz.)
- 1 cup of corn(I used frozen)
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic;minced
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro; chopped
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder(omit if you do not like spicy foods)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Black pepper to taste(I use fresh ground)
- 1Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Sour Cream, cheese and tortilla chips(optional)
- Heat up olive oil in the bottom of a large pot and sauté onions until translucent
- Add garlic and sauté around 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth, chicken, beans, tomato sauce, corn, Rotel and all spices. Stir well.
- Simmer on low-med covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add lime juice and cilantro.
- Garnish and Enjoy!
What I love about recipes like this is that you can easily customize it to add or subtract whatever you’d like! I hope you enjoy this as much as I did and that you stay warm in the “polar vortex: part 2.”